|Please bring the following if you are purchasing your own supplies.
Note: The gallery can supply an OIL KIT for $53 – please scroll down for more info.
|NOTE: The gallery will provide the Coldwax medium for this class
1. OIL Paints Please bring the oil paints you normally use, Nicole's specific paint colors listed below. This class is not suitable for acrylic paint since Coldwax only works with oils.
2. Brushes, even though using mostly palette knife we will also do some brushwork starts, bring a variety of sizes, a combo of Filberts, Brights (you don't need rounds unless small for details)
3. Metal palette knives - a range of 3 or more - small, medium and large. Jerry's has kits and single a la carte (see examples to the right)
4. Please brings a Portable Stand-up Easel that can support a 16 x 20 canvas. (Note: for those who prefer sitting you can lower the easel to your preference). French easels OK.
5. Palettes - 12 x 16
OIL Painters: Wood palette or Disposable Paper Palette available at art stores. Jerry's sells containers with blue lid to keep palette organized and for travel.
6. Standing (Floor) Easel - Please bring your own portable, standing floor easel. Table easels aren't appropriate for this class unless you have an issue that makes standing difficult.
7. Solvent to CLEAN Your oil brushes: Gamblin Gamsol or Odorless Turpenoid . NO Substitutes. NO Turpenine, NO Kerosene. You don't need a lot of solvent.
8. CONTAINER for Solvent, please bring a suitable solvent container or glass jar with a lid or a brush cleaner for your solvent (see image).
9. Canvases: 2 @ approx 9 x 12 for practice. 1@ 16x20 - regular stretched canvas (not a panel of possible)
10. Small tray table to put your paint/supplies on beside your easel if you don't have a self contained (French) easel
11. Apron or Smock to protect your clothes
12. Protect Your Car - A protective box or paper in your car to protect seats from wet paintings (going home)
13. Paper Towels
OIL PAINT COLORS
Please being whatever colors you already use, a simplified palette like below
is what Nicole uses
Paint brands to consider: Charvin, Lukas, Grumbacher, Gamblin etc.
• Alizarin Crimson (Charvin, use Magenta or Rubine Lake)
• Cadmium Red (Charvin -use French Red Light OR Napothol Light)
• Cadmium Yellow (Lukas - use Cad Yellow Light, Charvin - use French Primary Yellow)
• Ultramarine Blue
• Manganese Blue (hue) or Cerulean Blue (hue) or Viridian (note: "hue" is less $$$)
• Titanium White
** THE GALLERY CAN SUPPLY AN OIL KIT FOR ONLY $53
NOT including the 16 x 20 stretched canvas - Read below for details
For only $53, you may purchase from the gallery an OIL kit which includes 6 tubes of high quality mixable colors, 3 filbert brushes, paper disposable palette and several small canvas boards and use of Gamblin Gamsol solvent. ($100 retail value). YOU WILL need to purchase your own 16 x 20 canvas - if gallery supplies there will be a surcharge. You may borrow gallery palette knives for this class... but they do not come with the kit.