1. Watercolor Paints Please bring the oil paints you normally use, JJ's specific paint colors are listed below.
- At the very minimum, two round watercolor brushes, one size 12 (large) or larger, and the other size 6 (small) are needed.
- One inexpensive square head, soft hair brush approximately 2 to 3 inches wide (similar to photo --> on right) You are welcome to bring along more brushes that you are accustomed to.
3. Palettes - A color box palette (be sure it can be closed), a white plastic or aluminum rectangular palette with 12 wells or more for color and an interior space for mixing paint.
4. Water Container
5. An Old Rag: made of cotton for drying brushes
6. Board: One rigid board about 16 x 20 for mounting watercolor paper (eg: gator board, Masonite board, wooden board, etc.) No need for rigid board if you use watercolor blocks.
7. Tape: One 2" roll of 3M masking tape for taping down watercolor papers
8. Watercolor Paper A full sheet (22" x 30") of Arches or other brands of watercolor paper, or watercolor blocks, cold pressed/140 lb. 12 x 16 or 15 x 22
JJ'S WATERCOLOR PAINT COLORS:
• 2 Red: crimson (alizarin) & cadmium
• 2 Yellow: yellow ochre & cadmium
• 2 Blue: ultramarine French blue & cerulean
• 1 olive green
• Others: ultramarine violet, burnt umber, cadmium orange (hue), Indigo, burnt siena and turquoise
JJ recommends tube colors - the student or artist grade of paint