1. Portable Easel (French Easel, Pochade Box, etc...)
2. Brushes -
• Bristle Flats #'s: 2, 4, 6, 8 (Rick uses Utrecht and DaVinci, bring whatever brand you have)
• Synthetic Mongoose Flats #'s: 2, 4, 6 and 8 (Jerry's has Raphael Kevrin, Rick uses Rosemary)
• A Script /Rigger /Liner brush (see image to right, long and pointy)
3. Palette Knife. Medium or large trowel shape
4. Palette Glass or wood, please make sure it has a cover for leaving in the gallery overnight.
5. Solvent to CLEAN Your oil brushes: Gamblin Gamsol or Odorless Turpenoid (comes in many bottle sizes). NO Substitutes. NO Turpenine, NO Kerosene.
6. CONTAINER for Solvent, Oil Painters please bring a Glass container with a lid or a brush cleaner for your solvent (see image). Acrylic painters please bring a small bucket to hold your water, no lid required.
Because Rick is trying help you learn very specific techniques, the specific painting surfaces are important for the outcome. You can find this brand online:
Raphael Premium Archival Oil Primed Linen Panels. One each of the following sizes.
9” x 12”
10” x 20”
12” x 12”
8. Apron or Smock to protect your clothes
9. A protective box or paper in your car to protect seats from wet paintings (going home)
10. Paper Towels
11. A small tray table to hold your palette/brushes etc. if you don't have a French or pochade box easel.
Because you'll be painting with a very limited palette it would be helpful, but not required to bring these exact color and brands, all can be found online:
• Permanent Lemon Yellow - Rembrandt
• Permanent Red Medium - Rembrandt
• Ultramarine Deep - Rembrandt
• Jaune Brilliant Number 2 - Holbein
• Blush Tint - Sennelier
• Cold Grey - Rembrandt
• Titanium White - Rembrandt
YOU CAN BRING OTHER COLORS THAT YOU NORMALLY PAINT WITH AS WELL.
These are items Rick uses but are not required for you to have. The names below are exactly what they are called on the jerrysartarama website.
Princeton mini catalyst blade:
Amazing Wipe Off Tool:
Gamblin Gamsol or Turpenpoid NO subtitutions
Glass jar for solvent with LID. Many container styles available at Jerry's . Bring ONLY Gamblin Gamsol or Turpenpoid. NO subtitutions!